Deadline: February 22nd, 2016, midnight PST
Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History (MAH) Art Works Residency: A summer residency where artists engage museum visitors in their work and transform the museum into functioning artist’s studios.
During Summer 2016 the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History’s (MAH) Solari Gallery will transform into a series of artist’s studios. In each studio, museum visitors will meet artists and participate in art works in progress. All artists will be expected to engage visitors as part of their work and are invited to engage the theme of building stronger communities and neighborhoods.
Program Description: The Art Works exhibition at the MAH is a four-to-twelve week residency program in which artists engage the public within the museum’s gallery. All artists will be expected to spend a substantial amount of time creating work within the studio gallery and create work that engages visitors. Artists will work with museum staff to create a studio environment within the space, speak with museum visitors about their work, exhibit works, offer gallery talks, and participate in hands-on activities with the public.
The Residency: Minimum residency is 4 weeks and the maximum is 16 weeks. The full exhibition will be June 1st to September 30th, 2016 with artists rotating throughout.
The residency includes
- a $500 per month stipend (commensurate with length of your residency)
- a public studio space within the Solari Gallery, and
- a unique opportunity to bring public interaction into your work.
Housing is not provided.
Criteria and Considerations: The following considerations will influence who the museum selects for residencies:
- Visual, sound, participatory, and social practice artists
- A plan including visitor participation
- Work that engages the theme of building stronger communities and neighborhoods
- History of and interest in artistic collaboration
- A mix of artists from within and outside Santa Cruz County
- Artists of color, female, queer, and trans artists are encouraged to apply
- To thoroughly reflect and engage our diverse community, we particularly want to encourage Latino, Chicano, migrant and Spanish-speaking artists
For full details, expectations, and how to apply: http://www.santacruzmah.org/art-works-exhibition-callout/
Applications are due by midnight PST Monday February 22nd, 2016 for consideration for the summer program. NOTE: Applications received by Monday February 8th, 2016 are eligible for early consideration. Artists under consideration will be selected for an interview during the week of February 29th. All artists will be notified of the results of the selection in the second week of March. If you have questions about the MAH Art Works Program, please email email@example.com
About the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History: We’re a different kind of museum, one that focuses on building community here in Santa Cruz County, California. We build community through exhibitions, events, and projects that connect people to art, history, ideas, and each other. We believe that art and history are for everyone, and we work hard to offer experiences that connect people from many walks of life: across generations, ethnicity, and background. That means multi-cultural festivals, exhibitions filled with wonder, partnerships throughout the county, and surprising, fun connections with people and ideas across our community.