International Open Call for Artists: Particle & Wave – Paperclay Illuminated
Deadline: November 1st, 2018
From their call: This invitational and juried exhibition is intended to stimulate a worldwide conversation that explores innovation, creativity and connection by sharing the breadth of work being created internationally by artists who are incorporating paper pulp and organic fibers in their studio practice. It is the first exhibition to feature international paperclay artists as part of a touring exhibition.
The exhibition includes works from 20 invited and juried artists (25). Some of the invited artists include: Cristina Cordova (US); Barbro Aberg (Sweden); Susan Collett (Canada); Mette Maya Gregersen (Denmark); Antonella Cimatti (Italy); Paola Paronetto (Italy). Rebecca Hutchinson (US); Jerry Bennett (US) Graham Hay (AUS); Angela Mellor (UK) and Anjani Khanna (India).
This exhibition will be on tour June of 2019 through 2021 and will visit several Museums in the US including the ASU Art Museum Ceramics Research Center, Nora Eccles Museum of Art, The Fuller Craft Museum and the Holter Museum of Art to name a few.
Curator: Peter Held
In the course of Peter Held’s impressive three-decade career as a museum director and contemporary art curator, he has organized more than 200 exhibitions,including seven national traveling shows. Held is the editor and essayist for 10 books including Infinite Place: The Ceramic Art of Wayne Higby(2013); Innovation and Change: Ceramics from the ASU Art Museum Collection (2009), and Akio Takamori: Between Clouds of Memory (2005).
He has received three of the highest accolades possible from the Friends of Contemporary Ceramics, the Smithsonian’s James Renwick Alliance, and the National Council for Education on the Ceramic Arts. Held has served as a trustee for the American Craft Council, and was a resident artist at the Archie Bray Foundation for the Ceramic Arts (1974-75).
In June, 2014, he retired from his position as curator of ceramics, Arizona State University, Ceramics Research Center. He owns an art appraisal and consulting business based in Phoenix, Arizona. He is the curator of the Reitz Family Trust, and continues to curate and jury exhibitions nationally.
- This is an international exhibition and open to all artists worldwide who are using paperclay in their artwork.
- Artist must be at least 18 year of age.
- All artwork must have been completed within the last two years.
- Artworks using paperclay as the main material are eligible. Other additives may be permitted provided the main material comprises paper and clay.
- Artwork can be functional or sculptural, free standing or a wall piece and must not exceed 36 by 36 inches. (91 by 91 centimeters.)
- Artist must also provide the title, size, media and year created for each work being submitted
- Submitted works must not have been previously accepted or have received an award in a domestic or international competition.
Website link: https://paperclayilluminated.com/
Link to apply via CaFE: https://artist.callforentry.org/festivals_unique_info.php?ID=5346