Job- University of Minnesota, Tenure-Track, Full Time Assistant Professor of Art – Ceramics
Application Deadline: January 1st, 2020, 11:59pm EST
The University of Minnesota’s Department of Art in the College of Liberal Arts seeks an artist with contemporary ceramic arts expertise to join our renowned Sculpture and Ceramics practice area. We welcome artists whose cross-disciplinary skills will offer students a dynamic learning environment and a significant depth of competencies in traditional and non-traditional approaches to ceramic arts.
• MFA in Art or equivalency**
• A minimum of one year of teaching experience at the university or college level (beyond graduate school teaching appointment or assistantship)
• Evidence of in-depth knowledge of ceramic materials and processes in an art context
• Evidence of an active exhibitions record and research agenda at the national or international level
• Knowledge of both historical and contemporary perspectives in ceramic arts and contemporary art
• An engaged and committed educator with the ability to teach ceramic wheel throwing and hand building
• Expertise in an array of ceramics methods including but not limited to, mold-making, slip cast, clay & glaze chemistry, and ceramic digital 3D processes, CNC router, 3D printer, laser cutter, and other digital fabrication technologies
• Proven ability to teach and mentor MFA students providing guidance for their artistic and professional development
• Ability to provide collaborative leadership in the Sculpture and Ceramics Area (SCCE) working with colleagues to develop a dynamic curriculum and career readiness opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students
• Ability to provide collaborative leadership across the Department of Art helping to shape the future vision and direction of the Department of Art
**Department of Art Policy Statement
In lieu of an MFA, the following could be considered in determining professional recognition and experience:
-Advanced studies at a foreign school that does not award MFA degrees
-Extended advanced study with recognized artists in the field
-Professional achievement that would provide a depth of knowledge of the field comparable to an MFA
-Evaluation by leaders in the field attesting that because of exhibition record and other professional achievement, that person was the equal of an MFA
In evaluating these equivalencies, it should be kept in mind that depth of participation in the field, not simply time in residence, is being considered.
Candidates will be evaluated according to a) overall quality of their creative work and recognition in their field, b) relevance of their creative practice to the department’s academic priorities and fields of inquiry, and c) evidence of commitment to teaching and skills as a teacher.
For more detailed information and link to apply: LINK