Lower East Side Printshop (NY), National Call for Applicants: Keyholder Residency Program, for Spring 2019, with stipend
Deadline: March 1st, 2019, 6:00pm EST
For residencies beginning April 1st, 2019
The Keyholder Residency Program offers emerging artists free 24-hour access to printmaking facilities to develop new work and foster their artistic careers. Residencies are free and one year long, starting on April 1st and October 1st each year, and they take place in the shared Artists’ Studio, including the solvent/etching area and the darkroom.
Keyholders work independently, in a productive atmosphere alongside other contemporary artists. Artists from all disciplines are eligible to apply; print-making skills are not required, but some familiarity with the medium is recommended. Basic instruction in printmaking techniques is available for new Keyholders. Technical assistance is not included in the program, but is available at additional cost.
Participation is competitive. Applications are evaluated by a rotating committee of artists, critics, curators, and art professionals based on the quality of submitted artwork. A total of 8 artists are awarded the residency annually.
Artists from all visual art disciplines are eligible, printmaking skills are not required.
Keyholder Residency includes:
• 24-hour studio access
• $1,000 stipend
• storage space
• basic supplies (newsprint, blotters, solvents, cleaners)
• one free class in printmaking and consultations with Master Printers
• free career development workshops
• inclusion in the Printshop’s permanent collection
• opportunities to show new work in exhibitions presented by the Printshop
• Only legal US residents may apply (i.e., Social Security cardholders)
• Students enrolled in any kind of degree program at the time of the residency are not eligible
• Keyholder Residencies are limited to emerging artists only. The Printshop defines emerging artists as under-recognized and under-represented artists in early stages in their careers
Website link: http://www.printshop.org/keyholder-residencies/
About: Lower East Side Printshop is a premier New York City printmaking studio supporting contemporary artists of all career and artistic backgrounds in creation of new work. Support includes facilities, time, financial, and technical assistance. With over 160 artists served each year, the Printshop is the largest printmaking workspace in the U.S. They are located in New York, NY.