Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (Mass MoCA), International Call for Applicants: 2019 Artist Residencies
Deadline: January 7th, 2019, 5:00pm, EST
Since October 2015, The Studios at MASS MoCA have hosted over 500 artists and writers for residencies up to 10 weeks. Hosted by MASS MoCA’s Assets for Artists program, selected artists receive private studio space on MASS MoCA’s campus, newly renovated housing, free access to the museum’s galleries throughout the residency, optional financial and business coaching from Assets for Artists staff, and a daily group meal.
There is no application fee.
Residents will receive:
- A private studio in attractive space on MASS MoCA’s re-purposed mill campus, with generous natural light, 24-hour studio access, plywood floors, a work table and chair in each studio, and shared slop sinks and bathrooms.
- Housing across the street from the museum, in newly renovated apartments (private bedroom/queen bed + shared kitchen and bath). These are lovely apartments, but note that it’s communal living (4 people to an apartment) in an active downtown location — sensitive sleepers be advised.
- One communal meal per day, in the company of other artists-in-residence.
- MASS MoCA member benefits for the duration of the residency, including free access to the museum’s galleries and discounts on performing arts events and museum store purchases.
- Optional one-on-one artist-focused financial and business coaching through the staff of MASS MoCA’s Assets for Artists program, helping artists and writers in all disciplines strengthen the business side of their artistic practice.
The full-price residency fee is $650/week, but many participants receive need-based and merit-based financial aid.
Note: There is also a separate application specifically for artists in Puerto Rico. That deadline is Thursday, January 10th, 2019 5:00pm. If you’re an artist living in Puerto Rico, click here to apply for a free 4-week residency, with additional assistance for travel costs and meals, thanks to generous support from the Dorothea L. Leonhardt Foundation.
Website link for full information: https://massmoca.org/event/studios/
Mass Moca Mission: Through innovative collaborations, MASS MoCA helps artists and their supporters create and show important new work, bringing to our visitors bold visual and performing art in all stages of production, creating a stimulating center of creativity and commerce that brings life and economic vibrancy to its region.