Artadia Awards: Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York and the San Francisco Bay Area
Deadlines: See below
Artadia has active awards programs in the following cities: Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York and the San Francisco Bay Area. Awards are granted in participating cities on a rotating basis. Artadia Awards are $10,000, and are unrestricted. The award money can be used however the artist sees fit.
Artadia is thrilled to be offering Awards to visual artists in each one of its Award cities every year. The application dates will remain the same from year to year. You can find the application via Submittable.
-Los Angeles Awards (LA County): Application Open: January 1 – February 1
–New York Awards (The 5 Boroughs are: Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island, and Queens): Application Open: March 1 – April 1
–Houston Awards (Harris County): Application Open: April 1 – May 1
–Chicago Awards (Cook County): Application Open: May 1 – June 1
–San Francisco Bay Area Awards (The 5 counties are: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, and San Mateo): Application Open: July 1 – August 1
–Atlanta Awards (The 23 eligible counties are: Barrow, Bartow, Butts, Carroll, Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Hall, Henry, Morgan, Newton, Paulding, Pickens, Rockdale, Spalding, and Walton.): Application Open: September 15 – October 15
Artadia Award applications are only available online during specified application periods . During open awards periods, applications can be completed via the Artadia/Submittable website.
Artadia chooses to fund artists in cities that demonstrate a commitment to contemporary art. These cities are notable for:
– The active presence of local artists in the community.
– Art institutions recognized for innovative contemporary programming.
– A commercial art market that offers artists opportunities to show their work locally and at art fairs.
– Exemplary schools that prepare artists through undergraduate and graduate programs.
Artadia Awards are open to all visual artists living and working throughout one of Artadia’s Award Cities. Individual artists and collaboratives working in all visual media and at any stage in their career are strongly encouraged to apply. Artadia Awardees will be selected through a two-tiered jury process that combines local expertise with outside perspective from leading national and international curators and artists. A preliminary panel of curators and artists evaluates all online submissions and selects five Finalists. Then, a second panel of curators from the Award city conduct studio visits with the Finalists, gaining a broader context for the artists’ work. From the Finalist pool, two artists are selected to receive an unrestricted Artadia Award of $10,000.
The Artadia Awards application process is open to all visual artists who:
– Live and work in designated partner cities (listed above).
– Have resided in the program city for at least two years prior to the application deadline.
– Not currently enrolled in an art-related degree program or long-term residency, nor planning to attend an art-related degree program or long-term residency in the coming year.
– Are not related to Artadia staff or directors in any way.
– Have not received an Artadia (formerly The ArtCouncil Inc.) Award for $10,000 or more in the past.
The Awards are based on merit: defined as a rigorous engagement with a set of ideas embodied in materials, a depth of practice and a clearly articulated and developed voice.
Deadlines: https://artadia.org/awards/deadlines/ differ per city
For more detailed information and link to apply: https://artadia.org/awards/howtoapply/