San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles (CA), Open Call for California Artists: Maker Space Artist in Residence Program 2019
Deadline: April 1st, 2018
The San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles offers an exciting Artist in Residence program. Artists will have the opportunity to engage with museum visitors while gaining exposure to new audiences. The Maker Space serves as a semi-private artist in residence workspace and incubator for creativity and dialogue between the artist(s) and the community.
Duration of Residency: 3 months
Available spots: 4 per year
Who may apply:
- Emerging and established artists that incorporate fiber/textiles in their work
- Artists with a BFA, MFA or who show extensive experience in their field of expertise
- Artists who are comfortable engaging and working with the public
- Artists who are self-guided
- Artists who incorporate performance, community engagement or social practice are encouraged to apply.
Objective: The artist in residence will lead a series of activities that will be open to the community and museum visitors. The majority of the activities will be facilitated by the AIR(s) in the Maker Space, located behind the main galleries. The activities may include scheduled demonstrations of a set skill, lectures or hands-on/participatory activity for visitors.
- To foster a sense of ownership in the community through creative engagement/social practice while promoting the arts
- To increase visitor participation
- Assist and support artists in his / her own professional development while providing exposure to a new audience
- To provide artists the time to develop new work and focus on their creative endeavors
- To promote the history and future of textiles
Dates: January through March 2019
April through June 2019
July through September 2019
October through December 2019
PDF of call with more details: Artist+in+Residency+Plan+2019
Website link: https://www.sjquiltmuseum.org/artist-residency/
About: The mission of the San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles is to promote and celebrate the art, creators, craft, and history of quilts and textiles. The Museum is the nexus for fiber artists, art lovers, collectors, quilters, and crafters who share a passion for fiber art and a deep commitment to its preservation and evolution.
San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles, 520 S. First Street, San Jose, CA 95113